by KristinaI love learning about photography equipment from fellow photographers. I greatly appreciate the knowledge I glean from others about favorite lenses, gadget love and how equipment is used. As you know, photography equipment is expensive and insights and recommendations from others really helps me in deciding what to invest in next.
So I thought I would put together this post to give you an idea of some of my favorite gear. While I've always loved photography, I really started my SLR journey 4 years ago and over time have accumulated a fair stash of goodies.
Pictured above, is the equipment I use most often and carry with me the majority of the time. If you have any questions about the items above, please feel free to send me an email at email@example.com. And I'd love to hear about your favorite gear. Please share in the comments below your favorite lens or photo gadgets.
1. Epiphanie Clover Camera bag--love it! It fits all of the equipment you see pictured here (although carrying all of these goodies is heavy). I also have Belle in teal and I love it too but I like Clover a bit more because it has room for my laptop or iPad when I travel.
2. Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD for Canon Digital SLR Cameras. I use this mainly for shooting my kids' sporting events. It also came in handy when I went to Pacific Grove to see the Monarch butterflies!
3. An extra battery--you always need a back up.
4. A lens cloth for getting any schmutz off my lens.
5. Sandisk 8GB Extreme CF memory cards --you never know how many photos you are going to take.
6. My iPad adaptor so I can load photos to my iPad when in the field or traveling. I love to edit on the go using Snapseed.
7. My FAVORITE lens, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L. This is the lens I have on my camera the most. It is a lot to lug around and on the pricey side but the images I get and the range it provides is worth it. The color, the sharpness, the bokeh.....it is ahhhmazing! It is a great portrait lens and the one I use the most when shooting family portraits.
8. Black Rapid--RS-W1 Camera Strap specifically for women--I bought this because my prior camera strap was straining my neck. The sling style of this strap makes lugging my heavy lens around a breeze. A bunch of Shutter Sister's highly recommended this strap to me and I'm glad they did. It is a great strap!
9. My Canon EOS 7D. I love this camera. I upgraded to this body from the Canon 40D and it has been terrific. (The lens on my camera in this photo is the Canon 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, which is light weight and perfect for portraits and macro work--it was also highly recommended to me when I attend Camp Shutter Sisters).
Other items that I have that are not pictured above:
- Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 --great for wide angle, architectural shots and my favorite when traveling abroad. I was amazed at the images I was able to get when I traveled throughout Europe. It did really well in low light (inside churches, museums, etc.) and I ended up having it on my camera more than I thought I would.
- 430 EX Speedlite & 580 EXII Speedlite--I use these mostly for indoor photography.
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens--dubbed the nifty fifty, this is a great lens at a fantastic price...you can find it for right around $100. It is a bit slow, but the creamy background it produces is fab and the price is great! I think this is a great lens to invest in, especially for those of you just starting out and are wanting to move beyond your kit lens.