I was lucky to have the chance to shadow Laura Tillinghast on a recent Lensbaby photo shoot "Product Spotlight" a couple of weeks ago. Laura tested the Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet Optic 35. Laura is a professional photographer and part of the Pro Team at Zenfolio. And Zenfolio just happens to be where my blogging partner Kristina and I both separately host our own studio websites. It is through Zenfolio that I met Laura who teaches a variety of photography classes (Click see the list here).
I was fortunate to receive a Lensbaby Spark to test out for Moms Who Click. I have heard a lot about Lensbaby products from other photographers I follow including Alex Beadon. Now that I've played with one I have to say, I am totally hooked.
It is SO much fun and simple. In this case just install the lens as you normally would to your DSLR. Lensbaby Spark is a 50mm lens with a fixed aperture of f/5.6.
Once your lens is in place you will need to set your camera to full manual mode. While the Spark has a fixed focal length of 50mm, because of the flexible nature of the lens you can bend, extend or contract it until you find the sweet spot you're hoping to achieve.
Straight out of the camera results are amazing. But you can further enhance, define, refine and highlight once you get the image into your favorite editing software.
To the right are a few examples I put together to show the same set up (except I did move the object on the right to a different plane in the top and bottom images).
By just bending the lens to the left, center or right I was able to get a sharper focus wherever you see the red circle. Below are a few more examples using the Spark. I deliberately picked images that had text in them to highlight the focus.
|[The quote on the mug is based on the hilarious BBC Show, The IT Crowd.]|
|From the book, "The Four-Hour Chef"|
For more information on how to use the Lensbaby Spark see the video below.
- Moms Who Click is pleased to giveaway ONE Lensbaby Spark to one of our readers
- Please leave a comment below telling us what you will be using your Lensbaby Spark to photograph PLUS an email address for us to contact in case you are the winner. No email means we cannot contact you and will pick another winner.
- For a second entry please LIKE our Facebook Page at http://www.facebook.com/MomsWhoClick if you haven't already
- For a third entry please LIKE the Lensbaby Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/seeinanewway if you haven't already
- We will notify the winner the week of February 18th. We will ask for your model DSLR camera (Nikon F or Canon EF Mounts only)
- We will hold the drawing one week from today, on Monday February 18th President's Day! Good luck!
And by the way, to learn more about Zenfolio and to download a free eBook click here "Creating a Photography Website That Works For You"